Monday, March 10, 2008

The Beginnings of a Bucket List

So, there's a movie in the theaters called "Bucket List". I haven't seen it, but I liked the idea...two guys trying to do everything on their lists (the things they wanted to do and accomplish) before they kicked the proverbial Bucket.

It made me wonder what would be on my so-called Bucket List. When I was young-er, I am pretty sure I was convinced that life didn't really begin until you reached twenty-something. I admittedly had a very real fear that we would all be raptured before I was ever old enough to be a wife and a mother. If you would have asked me about a bucket list when I was seven, or twelve, or eighteen, it would have been to be a wife and a mother...in that order. I've gotten that far, thank God! So, what's left? (In no particular order...)


Finish my book on Christian childbirth and have it published.

Get my nose pierced.

Have a daughter. (Or, if another amazing boy is in my future, be the darn coolest Auntie a little girl could ever have!)

Learn to really like eating broccoli. (I've already taught myself to like bananas and tomatoes!)

Become a licensed childbirth educator.

Learn how to dance.

Learn how to make all sorts of amazing ethnic (especially Asian and Indian) foods.

Travel.

Do something really brave...something that takes a lot of courage.

Learn how to swim. (That's right, folks. I can float, but definitely not with any style or finesse.)

Get into shape so that I can run more than one mile at a time.

Okay, first things first. Before I can do that, I'll probably need to get into good enough shape so that I can run more than two blocks before I pass out on the curb!

Have my hair cut really, really short. (I've done really short before, but never SUPER short. I'm going to have to give it a try, or else I'll always wonder...)


That's all I can think of for now. If I think of any more, I'll let you know. And if I get any of them done I'll let you know, too! I think I'd better get busy...

2 comments:

Chris and Jane said...

So I guess now two of those items can come off the list; 1) getting your nose pierced & 2) doing something really brave (e.g., getting your nose pierced by Noah). Great job and cool nose ring!

Chris

Kathy said...

I have to comment on one of the items on your list: "Do something really brave...something that takes a lot of courage." (Actually, I might be blogging on your blog.)

First of all, as your mother, I have to remind you that there is a very definite difference between a feat of bravery and something downright risky or foolish. I know that you have a very good head on your shoulders; nonetheless, I don't want to neglect my motherly duty.

Secondly, I think you have already accomplished a number of very brave acts. Starting with the most recent, No. 1 and 2 would be giving birth twice without any pain medication. Just ask any man if that doesn't qualify you for the Award of Courage. No. 3 would be your involvement in Messengers. How many song and dance performances did you do in front of judges and crowds of people? You know that I tremble at the thought of speaking in front of a group of two or more so in my book this also counts as something brave. No. 4 was a selfless act of love that you did as a little girl. You sat your G-pa down on the sofa and told him that Jesus loved him. It took a lot of courage, because it was something that he didn't want to hear. I do believe, though, that those three little words that you spoke to him were good seeds that sprouted years later and grew into saving faith in the Lord.

Finally, I just have to say that you are a very special lady and I love you very much!

Mom