Tuesday, November 3, 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude

'Tis the season to ponder thankfulness and, accordingly, that's what's been on my mind lately. And, in continuation of the theme of my last post, I'm becoming more and more aware that your attitude primarily depends on how you choose to look at and process the things around you.

It's that idea of choosing to see the glass-half-full. Choosing to see the world through rose-colored glasses.

Some might argue that it's a pretty naive and ignorant way to go about your business. However, I'm thinking it's more in line with doing the Father's business. After all, if you're feeling satisfied and joyful, are you not more likely to walk in love and to sow seeds of satisfaction and joy in the lives of everyone you meet?

This blog started as a way to recognize the things in my life that make it so amazing, so breathtaking. Once again, I've been surprised at just how little and seemingly trivial those things can be. I've been reading a fiction series that was recommended to me and, even though it's not quite as consuming as works by Picoult or other authors I enjoy, it is simple, uplifting and easy on the soul. What, really, could be better? One of the main characters is often asked to list things that she loves. Even though the things she lists are sometimes ordinary and mundane, the list is on the tip of her tongue. Her thankfulness is at-the-ready and she's not above finding it in the everyday. How perfect! What an example!

So, while going about my morning with Owen today, I decided I want to, from time to time, make similar lists. Here goes:

What do I love?

1. Lists! I'm sure it's something that appeals to my obsessive compulsive side, but I just can't deny it. There's something about the order and feel of a good list that just makes me happy! (One of my favorite comics shows a person explaining that they do not have OCD. They were adamant that the diagnosis was not correct. Instead, they insisted they had CDO, because OCD just didn't make sense - it was completely out of order. Ha!)

2. The library! Owen and I had a wonderful time at the library this morning. (I'm sure part of why it was wonderful was because he was well behaved the entire time, but still...) What's not to love about the library?

I let Owen be "a big boy" and walk the entire time. He compliantly held my hand every time it was necessary. First, we went to the adult fiction to get a book for me. While we were walking through the extra quiet section, he felt the need to say, "Darn it!", in his fairly loud voice. I'm not sure why he needed to say that, but he did. I reminded him with a whisper that we were supposed to use our library voices. In return, he whispered, "Oh. Darn it!" Ha!

They didn't have one of the books I wanted, but on our way to the kids' section, I saw it on an end cap. It wasn't a lending copy, but it was a used (practically new) copy that the library was selling - for $2! If it hadn't been on the end of the row, I never would have seen it. I only had a $10, but I actually found that I had over $2 in dimes, so Owen got the pleasure of dropping 20 coins into a little collection box. Fun for both of us!

There's lots of other reasons I love the library - free magazines, an almost unlimited supply of information that is free for the borrowing, it's quiet, it smells like books, it makes me want to study... I could go on. Oh. And another reason is because the boys get to practice their water fountain skills each time we go. Caleb almost has it down. He's finally understanding the push-the-button first and then approach-to-drink tactic. It's been quite some time since he's squirted himself in the face. You'd think it'd only take once to figure that out, but you'd be surprised... He's growing up! Owen, on the other hand, isn't quite strong enough to get the button pushed yet. His day is coming, though. His squirt-in-the-face day, that is. He always puts his face about an inch from the nozzle. What a fun thing to watch. Aagh... Isn't life grand?

3. Maple donuts. (No explanation needed.)

No comments: