Tuesday, October 27, 2009

An invitation...


...to think about things a little differently. Actually, I think this is more like an invitation to participate in an exercise to change the way our brains tend to work. I came across this quote the other day and it has definitely challenged me:

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."
- G. K. Chesterton

How prone I am to this way of thinking! A trap, really. Why is it that a deluge of rain on my first mountain biking adventure turned it into unforgettable fun while slow checkout lines or waylaid plans always throw me into a frenzy of frustration?

(Actually, that's probably a bad example. The deluge of rain made it impossible to ride. We were forced to walk/push our bikes through the sludge for the entire second half of the "ride". Of course I would enjoy walking a bike rather than riding it - the likelihood that I would go careening into a rock was considerably reduced! Of course that would be my preference! But, I'm sure you get my point.)

Anyways. Anyone up for starting an adventure club with me?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

How we choose to look at things is such a powerful determinant in the quality of our lives. Abraham Lincoln said, "A person will be just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." You can remind me of that when I get grumpy. :-)

Chris and Jane said...

An adventure club? That sounds interesting.