Saturday, November 14, 2009

Immeasurable Value

Another interesting quote from a book I'm reading:

"Keep a clear eye toward life's end. Do not forget your purpose and destiny as God's Creature. What you are in His sight is what you are and nothing more. Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take nothing you have received...but only what you have given; a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage."

I think that's a great exhortation. The part that really struck me, though, was:

"What you are in His sight is what you are and nothing more."

Yes, there are people out there who believe that they are God's specific gift to mankind, for whatever reason. However, the much more common human response, I've found, is that we continually sell ourselves short of the value that He placed on us. Regardless of whatever specific and individual things He sees when He looks at each of us, He sees someone that's worth an immeasurable price.

Which leads me to another quote I really enjoy:

"
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." -Marianne Williamson

It all just makes me wonder. Concerning our worth, if we really did let God be true and every man (ourselves) a liar, just what could we accomplish for His kingdom? I really think the sky is the limit.

No comments: