Tuesday, November 3, 2009

An idea!

I'm sure that you all know me well enough to know that when I spoke of OCD in my last post, I in no way was poking fun or making light of what really can be a serious form of bondage. I actually did have some obsessive compulsive activities that I had to perform when I was little. Thank God I grew out of that! But, speaking of OCD, just to show you that I really do have those tendencies...

As soon as I published my last post, a list of three things I love, I almost had to revise the list. Why?

1. Lists
2. Libraries
3. Maple donuts

The first two things start with an L and the third one doesn't. I seriously almost had to change my list, just so that it'd be consistent. Yikes. Instead, I had a better idea. (Although this also reveals even more of my anal-retentive weirdness.)

I just noticed that Thanksgiving falls on the 26th of November this year. The 26th. Wait a minute! There are 26 letters in the alphabet. I could post a small list of things I'm thankful for each day and end with Z on Thanksgiving day!!! (Okay, I know it's really not that exciting, but humor me, please!) Maybe I'd seem a little more normal if you knew that there have been a lot of alphabet goings-on in our house lately. In pre-school, Caleb's class focuses on a new letter each week. Lots of tracing. Show and tell must start with the designated letter. Etc. Also, in lieu of other more bedtime appropriate songs, Owen keeps asking me to sing him the ABCs each time I put him to bed. The impressive part is that he's getting darn good at singing them on his own. He can get all the way from A to P with only a few slip ups and then he mumbles his way to a very proud Z. His favorite part, however, is still the "sing with me" that comes at the end. Aww...

So, anyways, being as how it's already the 3rd, I'll have to play catch up today, but no biggie! Here goes...


A:
1. amazon.com - They really make it too easy to buy books, and practically everything else under the sun.
2. adirondack chairs - sooo comfy!
3. afternoon sunbeams


B:
1. bubbles
2. boys - Zach, Caleb and Owen, in particular, but my daddy and brother are both extra special, too! I've definitely learned that these guys can frustrate me, make me fume and send me into a fit of tears faster than a bolt of lightning. But, I've also learned that far more often they make me laugh to the point of tears and they can also melt my heart with a single smile. I wouldn't have it any other way.
3. being a girl - just thinking about the aforementioned boys or any others, for that matter, makes me want to shout from the rooftops: "Thank God I'm a girl!!!"


C:
1. colored pencils - I know it's probably more cool to like crayons, but they just don't have the artistic flexibility for shading like colored pencils do. They've always been my weapon of choice, and I've definitely won a few coloring contests in my time!
2. craigslist.com - I'm trying to not be addicted, but I think I may be failing.
3. communion


By the way, an attitude of gratitude is, for most of us, something that has to be cultivated. It's sad, but true. So feel free to comment and leave your own lists of things you're thankful for! It makes for a merry heart and that's even better than medicine!

1 comment:

Chris and Jane said...

I love lists too. There is something so organized about them.
Here's my list so far:
A:
Anthropologie (I just wish I could afford it.
B:
Babies
Boots --I'm really into cowboy boots right now
brownies
C:
Coffee --how in the world can you start your day without it?


and today's
D:
My doggies. Or any dogs for that matter, really; I'm not picky.