Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What a month!

At Owen's 4 o'clock feeding this morning, I was thinking back over this past month. It's been a whopper! At first my thoughts were of how it seemed to be a month that had come full circle - full of endings and beginnings. The big ending, in my mind, was my Grandma's death. However, it only took a second before I realized that, in truth, that event was much more of a beginning than an end. Yes, it was the end of her life on earth. But it was also the beginning of eternity for her in the presence of her Creator. Something for which I'm sure she always longed.

So, the month of February 2008 has truly been a month of beginnings. On the 5th, my Grandma started her eternal walk with her Lord. I can't think of any better, or more enviable, beginning imaginable.

On the 12th, Caleb's "official" education began. School doesn't begin until the fall, but he's registered for pre-school. It will be a whole new, very exciting era in our lives, especially Caleb's! He's ready! (The real question is, am I? Probably not.)

On the 18th, Mary Grider went into labor. I had the honor of being her doula, and assisting a VERY strong and mature young woman welcome her first little baby into her arms. It was a long and challenging labor, but she prevailed because of her dependence on God and her ability to look to Him to be everything she needed. The experience opened my eyes to the way I view prayer and my ability to fully rely on God, in faith, to answer those prayers. It needs some attention, but I look forward to the challenge. (Thank you, Jesus, for loving me so much that you lovingly point out weaknesses and areas that need correction and improvement!)

Also on the 18th, my little Owen started teething. He refused to take his bottle or his pacifier. Poor little Pumpkin! It's just one more (painful) reminder that my baby is growing up. He's going to be 6 months old in less than a week. The 6 to 12 month period is one of my favorites. So many new things are happening all the time! Soon he'll have teeth peeking though those pink little gums. He'll finally flop all the way over from his back to his tummy. It won't take long after that before he'll be scooting around the floor. He'll get faster and faster, then he'll pull up on everything within reach. Before I know it he'll be walking. And talking. (Okay. I have to stop or I'll cry.) It's definitely bittersweet. Every new accomplishment is so exciting, but every one is also a reminder that he's getting to be more and more of a boy, and less and less a baby. (So, his first birthday is September 3rd. It's the same time that Caleb will be starting school. If I'm particularly bleary-eyed this fall, you'll know why.)

On the 21st, I decided to commit to at least one month of journaling my prayers (and God's responses) in the hope that it will increase the level of interaction I experience in prayer. I truly believe that prayer is meant to be an open dialog between man and God. During conversation with family and friends, I grow closer to them. Our relationship expands and grows. I want the same thing to happen during my conversations with God. I know it already does, but I want that potential growth to be maximized. I don't feel like I give God nearly the time he deserves, but when we do spend time together, I want to be fully present and fully emerged in His presence.

And speaking of growth in relationships, on the 23rd, Zach and I (and Caleb and Owen), had the pleasure of having dinner with new friends, Chris and Jane. Friends, especially Godly ones, are such a blessing! I've also had more excuses (than normal) to spend time with Faerl lately. It's so good to have her back from Atlanta. I thank God for new friends (and the return of old ones)! I have a feeling that these three will be good for us in more ways that we realize. They challenge us to look at things from new perspectives, to branch out in new directions and to seek God in everything we do!

Today, the 27th, marks the beginning of my prayerful consideration of whether or not it is really God's intention for us to look to meat and animals for sources of our nourishment. It's something I never thought about before. I like meat, it's good for you, what more is there to consider? Just this morning, though, my eyes have been opened to all sorts of views (beyond the standard "it's wrong and you're a monster for eating animals") that I had never even considered. Thank you, Jesus, for challenging me with new points of view and for leading me and guiding me in every decision. Thank you for helping me to advance your kingdom on the earth in every way possible! (For a very insightful, Godly look at vegetarianism, look at Greg Boyd's blog "Why I'm a Vegetarian" and the following two posts. It's eye-opening, for sure.)

Tomorrow, the 28th, is the first meeting of the book club that Faerl and I are starting. It's the expression of our desires to enjoy the fellowship of other women, build new friendships, exercise our brains and bodies (it's a book/pilates club) and learn new things (it's really a book/pilates/cooking/knitting/who knows what club). The possibilities are endless, and I couldn't be more excited!

That's it for now, I think. But who knows. There's still a few days left of February 2008 and who knows what those days may hold! Thank you, Jesus, for new beginnings!

1 comment:

Chris and Jane said...

We're excited to have you and Zach and Caleb and Owen in our lives too!