Friday, February 8, 2008

Ramblings, and a Pair of FAST Underwear

First post after Grandma. I think something lighthearted and fun is in order.

But first a quick diversion. Her services were yesterday and they were so nice. God was glorified, and that's exactly what we'd wanted.

As people were passing by afterwards to offer their condolences, a man took my hand and said, "She's at rest." Almost instantaneously, a thought popped into my head: "No, she's not." It wasn't accusatory, or suggesting in any way that he was wrong. It's just that the feeling I have is that she's not at rest. She's probably, as my dad would say, "busier-than-a-son-of-a-gun". And that makes me happy. It'd make her happy, too. Of course, I could be wrong. She may be resting...at her Father's feet. Either way, she's doing whatever the heck she wants to, and that's a really nice thing to think about.

Now, on to the fun. A few mornings ago, Caleb came running into my bedroom. He was fully dressed for the day, but he was carrying a pair of "tidy whities" in his hand. In a very serious, very matter-of-fact manner, he said, "Mom, I've got to change my undies."

"Great", I thought. "What happened?"

Holding out the new undies, he explained, "These are my 'Go outside in the backyard and play football, FAST' undies." He proceeded to strip down, and I noticed he was wearing a different pair of tidy whities. (He probably only has those two pairs. All the others are Curious George, Lightning McQueen, etc.) As he pulled the old ones off, he said with a bit of disdain, "These are my SLOW football undies."

"Oh." Of course! I should have known.

3 comments:

Chris and Jane said...

I love it. I had to send it on to Chris to read. Wonder where he got the notion that his undies make him fast (or slow)?

Sarah Taylor said...

You know, I think I know where he got that idea. We refer to shoes as being fast shoes. For example, tennis shoes are fast shoes, whereas flip flops are not.

What gets me is his idea that he has to wear certain pairs in order to play certain sports. Football undies?

Who knows. Zach and I often wonder what goes on in that 3-year-old mind. It'd probably be quite fascinating, although mind-boggling, to find out!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Caleb could come over to Auntie's house one of these days and designate some "fast undies" for me. I see now that my problem all these years has simply been that I need to wear the proper undies in order to play football well. It really has nothing to do with my hand eye coordination (or lack thereof). Maybe he could even find me some ping pong undies, then I could play that too!! :)