Thursday, January 7, 2010

What am I doing?

I always look forward to new things. New years, new adventures, new beginnings. A time to start fresh. This year I've felt a little funny about resolutions, though. I haven't made any, because it feels a bit pointless. The usuals just don't apply this year.

1. Lose weight. I've actually thought about this one. I could set a pretty lofty goal. Say 30 pounds. It's not like I have to lose it right NOW. As long as I accomplish it by the end of the year then I can consider it a success, right? So who cares if I drop about 20 of those pounds within the span of a few days!

2. Eat better. This one is always good and it definitely does apply, especially while pregnant. However, I think I'm just a little too much of a realist to take it seriously right now. I'm a crazy-busy mom of 2.6 kids (I figure 24 weeks out of 40 is about 60% or a kid, right?) and I'm fixing to start tax season. If I don't have time to do any better than a drive through burger, that's what it's going to be. Thankfully, Owen is living proof that beautiful babies can be grown despite the occasional (or not so occasional, if I'm really honest) corn dog.

3. Get more exercise. Considering the fact that lately it feels like my poor body has got it's work cut out for it just managing to not fall completely apart during this pregnancy, I really don't think I'm going to push it. I'm just going to start picturing dumbbells in my hands every time I heave Owen in and out of the car, the crib, etc. (Don't get me wrong, though, the second I can find my feet again and actually reach them well enough to get my running shoes tied, this girl's hitting the pavement!)

Just because I haven't been able to officially "resolve" to do anything new, though, that doesn't mean my behavior hasn't changed in the last week. I'm definitely going through a phase, but I haven't decided if it's nesting or purging. It's really too darn early to be doing the stereotypical "nesting" that mommies do while preparing for the arrival of a new baby. But, I'm really not fond of the word "purging". It makes me want to, well, purge. (Excuse me.)

So, as I continue to empty closets and reorganize drawers in the name of order and tidiness, I think I'll focus on the nesting part. After all, I just love a good nest!


nest –noun
1. a pocketlike, usually more or less circular structure of twigs, grass, mud, etc., formed by a bird, often high in a tree, as a place in which to lay and incubate its eggs and rear its young; any protected place used by a bird for these purposes.
2. a place used by insects, fishes, turtles, rabbits, etc., for depositing their eggs or young.
3. a number of birds, insects, animals, etc., inhabiting one such place.
4. a snug retreat or refuge; resting place; home.
5. an assemblage of things lying or set close together, as a series of boxes or trays, that fit within each other: a nest of tables.

No comments: