Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bucket List, Revisited

In March 2008, I started a list of things I'd like to accomplish, but I didn't give myself any sort of timeline. Here we are, two years later, and some of them are done, others are still in the cue. I figure it's time to review the list. Revise. Revamp. Revisit the list - see where I've been and have yet to go...

1. Finish my book on Christian childbirth and have it published. Not done yet. Not even close, to be honest. I have been able to hone in a little better on my specific objectives and how I'd like to get there. This one, though, is going to take some time. I'm hoping I can work on it more and more once the boys don't need quite so much of my attention.

2. Get my nose pierced. Been there, done that! It was fun while it lasted, but it didn't last long. Through no fault of my own, it never quite healed right and Zach finally admitted that it got in the way anyways. Oh well. I guess there'll be no long-term nose ring for me. (That's okay!)

3. Have a daughter. (Or, if another amazing boy is in my future, be the darn coolest Auntie a little girl could ever have!) Or, as it turns out, another son. I guess I'll have to start shifting gears into awesome-Auntie mode. In the mean time, it couldn't hurt to learn how to make farting noises with my underarms, how to whistle super loud (preferably w/o fingers in the mouth) and how to burp my ABC's. After all, these skills could come in pretty handy in my quest to become a super-cool-mom-to-three-boys.

4. Learn to really like eating broccoli. (I've already taught myself to like bananas and tomatoes!) Broccoli is still nowhere near being classified as a favorite, but I think I'm close enough that I can call this one done. Besides, I'd better like it, because we're going to have to start having it several times a week, as it's one of the few veggies the boys will actually eat w/o major coaxing. What a weird veggie for them to choose, I think!

5. Become a licensed childbirth educator. This is most definitely going to stay on the list. As with other things, though, it's just going to have to wait until I have more time. Sigh...

6. Learn how to dance. I know my precious Hubby will be game for this, I just need to find a class and sign us up. It might be a challenge keeping up with him, though, that guy can really move! (And usually with significantly more grace and style than I can, darn it.)

7. Learn how to make all sorts of amazing ethnic (especially Asian and Indian) foods. I've definitely expanded my repertoire, but wouldn't call this done. But I can made a mean chicken curry! Mmm...

8. Travel. This one definitely isn't finished or even really started, for that matter. In the last two years, I think Zach and I have managed one camping trip and one weekend run to Durango. I don't think those are going to count. I'm a bit sad and embarrassed to admit that it's getting close to being a decade since I've even stepped foot on a plane. Sigh. When I say travel, I mean travel. Like get-a-passport, travel. That'll have to wait for sure. In the mean time, maybe a REAL vacation to some state other than one immediately neighboring? Sounds good to me!

9. Do something really brave...something that takes a lot of courage. On our trip to Durango, I went mountain bike riding with Zach for the first (and so far only) time. Most people wouldn't call this adventurous or necessitating bravery. For me, though, it was HUGE. I was honestly petrified the entire time. I think that took some courage, thank-you-very-much.

10. Learn how to swim. (That's right, folks. I can float, but definitely not with any style or finesse.) Still undone. And, while I'm at it, I should probably add swimming lessons for the boys, too. Lord knows I don't want them to suffer the same water-phobic fate as their Momma!

11. Get into shape so that I can run more than one mile at a time. Did it, but now that I'm pregnant I'll have to do it all over again. Last summer I could run several miles pretty comfortably. Not fast, mind you, but who cares? So, I think I'll up this goal to actually running in a 5k sometime. If I'm really ambitious maybe I could shoot for the Duke City in October 2010? After that, maybe I could try a half marathon some day? I think it'd be fun. We'll see...

12. Have my hair cut really, really short. (I've done really short before, but never SUPER short. I'm going to have to give it a try, or else I'll always wonder...) Done! It grows so fast that it's longish again now, but I did it! Practically a buzz cut! I definitely won't go there again, a bit too masculine for my taste. But I will always love a good, short 'do. There's something that feels SO amazing about lying your head down on your pillow at night and not having hair wrapped around your face. And the wash-'n-go aspect...who could ask for more?

Recap: 6 out of 12 done in almost two years? I have to admit I'm not super satisfied with a 50% rate of accomplishment. In other areas of life, this would definitely not be acceptable. All things considered, though, (having babies, raising kids, working a number of odd jobs) I think I'm okay with this. One of the best things I've found about getting older is becoming a bit more realistic in my expectations.

So, now that I've managed to cross a few things off, I'd like to add some new To Do's to my list. I'm going to have to think on it for a while. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Faerl Marie said...

I disagree! 50% success rate in two years off a bucket list!! Sarah that is incredible, if they were all easy things than they wouldn't really be worthy of a bucket list in the first place. I think that mountain biking would take a lot of courage, more than I have yet to muster! Good Job.

Boomer said...

Considering that you aren't "half dead" yet, I think half of your list is a good accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

Still have my nose pierced! I forgot to take the ring out at work the other day and got 'the look' from my boss. :) How I miss you!