Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Day

Right now my big boy, Caleb, is at school. He's finishing up his first week of pre-K, and he's loving it. He's only going 3 afternoons each week but, in hindsight, I know that's a perfect schedule for him. We met his teacher, Mrs. Crook (yes, her name is really Mrs. Crook), last Thursday at a special Open House they had for his class so parents and kids could come before the first day to meet the teacher, check out the classroom, etc. On our way to the Open House, he asked in a little voice if I was going to stay with him. I told him gently and lovingly that I was allowed to stay that one day, but that afterwards he'd be there without Mommy. His reply? "But I don't want you to stay!" Ah. Only 4 and already ripping my heart out.

It was for the best, though. He hasn't shown any hesitation at going or "being left" each day. He had a hard time sleeping after his first day in class, so I think it was all a little more overwhelming than he let on, but in his own words it's been "major fun". They do chapel, P.E. and Spanish each week, in addition to their core numbers-and-letters curriculum. He hasn't given me a whole lot of details, but I can tell he's having a blast.

There are 15 kids in his class - 10 girls and 5 boys, so the odds are definitely in his favor that he'll end the year with at least one girlfriend. So far, though, he seems pretty darn content to "rock out" with Noah and Zach. They're the two guys he befriended right away. While we were waiting to go in on the first day, Caleb noticed that Noah had a very cool Star Wars backpack and Caleb asked if he could tell him so. I suggested that he go over to tell him, to make sure that he heard. So, he did and he also asked for his name. After Noah's Mom prompted his "and what's your name" response, Caleb held out his hand for a shake and said, "I'm Caleb, nice to meet 'ya!"

My goodness, I just LOVE that boy! He's still so little, but so very big all at the same time...he never ceases to amaze.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

I love how you savor the precious moments! In what seems like about 6 months you will be sending him to college...

...not much is different there--they still have cool Star Wars backpacks (at least at Tech).

Faerl Marie said...

1. Please don't let Caleb go to Tech!!!
2. I am so proud of you Sarah! All of the things we spoke about being discontent with it seems you have overcome. Your ability to move forward and "seize the day" is very inspirational to me. I love you so much, thank you for being such a dear heart to me!