Friday, April 11, 2008

Meet Squirt...

...the newest member of the Taylor household. That's right, we've had an addition. He was initially dubbed "Squirty Squirty", but thankfully it got shortened before too long!

Caleb has been desperate for a pet lately. I explained that we couldn't have a cat or dog right now, because it could be dangerous to have them near a baby. It wasn't a complete lie, even though the primary reason Zach and I don't want a "real" pet is because we don't want to invest the time and money that they undoubtedly require. I realized, though, that my explanation could leave him feeling a little (extra) resentment towards Owen. Plus, if and when we ever announce that a third Taylor baby is on the way, I don't want him to lose all hope of ever having his pet dreams-come-true. So, Caleb has a pet fish. On the way home, it was almost a draw as to whether he was more excited about the fish or the accompanying net that we had to buy, too. Now, though, it seems he's quite in love.

While on our way home with Squirt, we had a discussion about how Caleb would have to take very good care of him. It didn't take me too long, though, to realize that Caleb's idea of "good care" may not always be in poor little Squirt's best interest. I'd hardly gotten the bowl cleaned and set up before Caleb proudly announced, "I gave Squirt a piece of cereal, in case he gets hungry." Oh. Sure enough, he did. I found a Cheerio, that no doubt came from some corner on the floor, floating in Squirt's bowl. Aagh! So then we had to have another discussion about how sometimes the things that are good for us are not necessarily so good for fishies.

We also had a discussion about death and that all fishies eventually go to be with Jesus, even when you take really good care of them. He was okay with that, but yet I still find myself breathing a sigh of relief every time I walk by and see him wiggling in his bowl.

I have a feeling we'll be having lots more of these "discussions" in the following weeks, but that's good. It'll definitely be a learning experience for all of us. In the mean time, it's fun to see Caleb so excited about his new little friend.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

You're a good mommy!