Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Love is a Verb

In the wee hours of last night, during a night-time feeding, while my arms cradled sweet Nathan, my brain was busy with the following thought:

Love is a verb.

Yes, I know it can also be a noun. But, love as a verb...now, that's something to think about. A verb typically expresses action, state, or relation between two things. Paramount, in my mind, is the fact that a verb requires action. When we think about God being love, we usually think of Him in the noun form. He, she, it...a noun. But, God's character and nature are revealed most clearly in His expression - in the action He took to pour love out (Himself out) upon and for His creation.

So, when we are commanded to "Love one another..." it suddenly isn't enough to 'be in a state of having loving feelings towards others'. I know that's typically my response, especially towards the not-so-lovely. Isn't it enough that I be polite and kind? After all, if I'm not acting out in hate, then doesn't that mean that, by default, I'm walking in love? I don't think so. We are commanded to LOVE. What does our response look like? Assuming our obedience to God's direction for our lives, if we were commanded to run, there would be a real, measurable response to that command. Is it the same with the command to love? Is our response quantifiable? Is it enough?

God's action of love looked like blood spilled out for people who couldn't have cared less. It looked like ultimate sacrifice. What does my love look like? Pretty pale, luke-warm and watered down in comparison to the example that God has set for us.

2 comments:

Zach said...

You are definitely "down with the DC Talk". In fact, I am going to have to listen to that song right now. Thanks for reminding me of how truly awesome 80's hip-hop is.

In all seriousness though, I am so thankful that you do act out of love for others as often as you do. I can not express how grateful I am for that very first smile you gave me all those years ago and how that seemingly insignificant act was the catalyst needed for a whole series of life altering reactions. Thank you for everything you do. You definitely have a kung fu grip of love for others.

Sarah Taylor said...

Zachary Wayne, I love you! It blows my mind to think that it all started with just one smile. I'm thankful beyond measure...