Friday, April 23, 2010

Blogging Blahs

I'd apologize for my lack of posting, but...I'm not gonna. Yes, I've been busy, but not really any busier than any other time in life. Truth is, I just haven't felt like blogging.

Lately, Zach and I have both been marveling at (and lamenting) this phenomena that has slowly but surely developed over the last several years - a consuming absorption with "self". Texting, tweeting, facebook-ing, blogging... All means of sharing your information and your life, but without any real obligation to truly connect or to participate in any sort of meaningful dialog. Of course you can choose to connect, but it's still somewhat superficial and on your terms - only with the people you deem worthy and worthwhile. Where's the reaching out? Where's the relationship? Where's the "us" and the "we"?

Of course, I'm just as guilty as the next. I blog. I have a facebook page - although I really hate logging on and do it as in-frequently as possible. Why do I hate logging on? Because I don't want to chat. I want to talk to people when it's convenient for me, not when they catch me. Just another example of the all important "self". What am I going to do to change this truly yucky behavior that I find in myself? I'm not sure. But, something needs to be done.

What about you? What do you think?

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Hey Sarah,

So many times I have wanted to delete both my Facebook and my blog for the same reasons--the utter self-absorption of the culture! (and my involvement in that self-absorption!). Then I wonder if I will rob people of a connection that they do have with me and it becomes a catch-22. I always thought your blogs in particular were very humble and very genuine, if that helps any!

Thank you so much for letting me hold Nathan Wayne "first" yesterday. He is such a precious little man!

Chris and Jane said...

I think blogging is a bit narcissistic. Facebook definitely is, but I love reading your blogs and I love knowing what other people are doing (especially people that I wouldn't be emailing or calling like long-lost cousins or friends from highschool) And, I've been relentlessly checking your blog because I love reading what you post, so please don't give it up!

Personally, I like blogging because it satisfies my writing urge. It doesn't take as long to write a post as it would to sit down and write a novel. And, alright...I like to laugh and usually my posts involve making fun of myself or others. I'm just that shameless!

Kathy said...

I, for one, have really missed your blog posts...those little glimpses into your life. They feel to me like a gift from you and from God, and I have enjoyed them and been touched by them. I am certain that you have blessed others through your blog, too, perhaps been used by God to add some merry to their hearts. I do think that God has given you a gift for putting words together and posting gives you an opportunity to make use of it.

As with pretty much everything else in this life, blogs can be used to promote the devil's agenda or to bring glory to God. Maybe the question is not as much whether to blog as it is what to blog. And writing about your life does not have to be seen as being completely self absorbed. Sharing your experiences can bring encouragement, hope, comfort, joy, peace, and love to the readers. I see it as a wonderful way to be real and open before people and to let them see God at work in you.

I have to wonder if Paul had lived in this day and age might his letters have gone out via a blog?

Uncle Jerry said...

I agree with everything my sister Kathy said! I have missed hearing what you and Zach and my three little great nephews are up to. You and Zach are pretty great too! Love you!