Wednesday, May 21, 2008

For Jane, From Caleb

You've been patiently awaiting more Caleb stories, so here you go...

Yesterday we were in a co-worker's office to discuss a project. We were in the middle of conversation when Caleb interrupted. He was standing by my side, with his pointer finger held high in the air and said, "Mommy! There's something on my finger." While grabbing a tissue to collect the offending "something", I said, "I wonder where that could have come from?" With a rather bewildered look on his face, Caleb replied, "I think it came from my nose!" Ha! Good thing the co-worker was a mom...she took it right in stride.

And this morning, I think we may have found a solution to his yearning for a pup. The boys and I were resting in my bed because they both have a habit of waking up FAR too early. In my state of being half-asleep, I made the mistake of pretending to be a sleeping dog in order to amuse the fussy Owen and restless Caleb. He thought it was hilarious. He kept patting my head and saying, "That's my good boy, Sparky!" I played along for quite a while, but I'm not sure how long I'll keep this up. Every time I said something, he'd demand, "No! Only barking." He's smart. I'm sure he realized that I can't reprimand him if I can only bark. Where did I draw the line? When he went running to his room to find a leash.

Last weekend, while riding in the car, Caleb asked, "Mommy? Was I ever in your comfy tummy?" I replied that, "Yes", a long time ago he had been in my tummy, when he was very small. He thought about that for a minute and said, "Oh. 'Cause I think I forgot a pillow in there."

That's all for now, but I'm sure there'll be more to come. He never disappoints!

1 comment:

Chris and Jane said...

Thank you! I've been checking every day to see what Caleb's been up to. I can't believe you wouldn't allow yourself to be put on a leash...there is no telling where he would have walked you! : )
I wouldn't be surprised if Owen is someday being led around the house by his big brother. : )