Friday, June 11, 2010

Moo?

Through trial and error, I've come to be about 90% sure that Nathan has a sensitivity to the protein in dairy products. He's got lots of the symptoms - congestion, stuffiness, constipation, gas... Poor baby! The only way to remedy these complaints is to remove all the dairy from my system. It's a surprisingly long process before he'll see the benefits (close to three weeks), but if it helps him feel better then it'll definitely be worth the effort.

But, I have one question. How in the world do you not eat any dairy? I've been on the equivalent of a see-food diet pretty much all my life: If I see it and I want it, I eat it! Besides the fact that cheese, yogurt, milk, ice cream (etc) all fall fairly high on the list of my favorites, it seems like there's dairy in just about everything!

So, seriously, how do I do this? I'm perusing the internet for ideas, but if you have any words of wisdom, I'd really appreciate your help!

Nathan's little insides thank you...

2 comments:

Frostine said...

Sarah,
Hi, this is Kerri (Austin)Boyd. I recently found your blog. My sister had the same problem with one of her little ones. I'll ask her if she has any specific sites with good info. Maybe I'll find you on FB.

Mary Elizabeth said...

Oh no! Poor Nathan. And poor you! I had to do the same thing with Jayme. It's SOOO hard. But you're right. It's so worth it when our little babies feel better. Yogurt didn't seem to affect her like milk and cheese. Eveyone told me to drink soy milk. No can do. That stuff is awful. Even the flavored kind. Almond milk (vanilla flavored) isn't bad...but it's a bit pricey. Hmm...Goats milk and cheese, maybe? But I'm not a fan of those much either...