Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, to me!


This is it. Tomorrow is the big 3-0. Really, in my mind, it's the first real milestone birthday where the aging issue actually comes into play. Turning 20? At that point you're almost to 21 and to adulthood. You're too busy having fun to care one way or another. Turning 30, though, is a whole different can of worms.

And what, you may ask, are my thoughts on turning 30? Who cares? The older the better, I say! Every passing year has been full of more joy, more life and more love. So why would I worry about getting older? Bring it on! (Although I do reserve the right to change my answer once gravity starts to kick in, once I start finding gray hairs and once my skin is pruney even before a good soak.)

As for my thoughts about this birthday thing and life-in-general right now, they were summed up perfectly by a super-dear friend that sent this card to me in the mail today. Are you ready?





Wait for it...





Wait for it...







Ha! Really, I couldn't have said it better. I love, LOVE, looove my boys (all three of them), but I'm definitely ready for a break from the little two. The 24/7 nature of mommy-hood is starting to wear me down. But, I'm fixing to get a break. My sweet hubby picked up on the fact that my frazzled nerves are wearing thin and is sending me out for the afternoon. (I wonder what it was that tipped him off? The bleary, blood-shot eyes? Or maybe it's the way I've taken to screaming "What do you want from me?" every time someone says my name?)

Out to do what? I don't know. He said, "Whatever the heck it is that you girls do."

Buy another pair of brown sandals because the 3 pairs that are already in the closet aren't quite right? Rip the hair out of our bodies with hot wax for the fun of it? Smear goo on our faces to make us feel more youthful and vibrant? (Now that I put it that way, is sounds like we're a pretty weird lot. No wonder guys don't get us. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank God for my two Xs!!!)

So, anyways. I'm set to escape for the afternoon. Zach even told me that I don't have to come home until after the two monsters are tucked into bed. Yippieee! Whatever will I do with myself? I'm thinking I might try a hot yoga class. I've always been curious. (Mostly about whether or not I'd pass out before the class was through.) No telling where the day will take me! I'll fill you in later. For now I've got some time to spend doing whatever the heck I want, followed by at least 2 solid days of birthday celebration, so I'd better get to it!

PS - Chris, the angels might sing on your birthday, but have you ever had parades and fireworks in your honor? Those are for me, right?

PS#2 - Zach, thank you SO much for the incredible man, husband and father that you are. I'm blessed to have you! Thank you for understanding my need to disappear for a while. You're amazing and I'm so blessed that you're mine!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

love the card... was it from jane, by chance?! :) Have a happy birthday and a fun day out!

Faerl Marie said...

Happy Birthday my little deary! I am looking forward to celebrating with you soon! I hope your day is as fabulous and relaxing as you deserve. I love you!

Boomer said...

Happy Birthday Sarah. Be careful with your cocktails however, you don't want your head to get too "floppy" on your bithday ;)

Chris and Jane said...

It wasn't from me...but, I think whoever sent it knows mommy-hood. Except I'm not even to the juice-box phase yet.

Love to you, Sarah. I hope you have a great birthday week--a day isn't good enough for you.

J.